Saturday, January 30, 2016

Finding Solutions in Silence.....


While working on my new year, new words blog I touched on the idea of finding solutions in silence.  I was reaffirmed in this thought while watching Oprah's "Super Soul Sunday" this week when Dr. Eben Alexander  author of "Proof of Heaven" shared about his experiences of having a near death experience.  From the perspective of this Nero-surgeon, the evidence of Heaven is compelling.  Through his discussions on the show, he shared the idea that we don't have to have a near death experience to obtain closeness with God. He meditates several hours a day.  Through this practice he finds that he can connect to God more in depth.  I believe this is where we can find our spiritual guides, and a "peace that passes all understanding."

I started thinking about this idea and started focusing on the quote that I shared in my first post of 2016.  "Sometimes we find solutions in the silence."  My challenge for you today is to pray and/or meditation.  Find silence in everyday and listen for solutions.

Meditation does not have to be a perfect, ritualistic process.  Before I thought I could meditate properly I thought that I needed to "do it right."  However what I have found is there is not a "right" way to meditate.  Some people meditate for hours and others may close their eyes for a moment.  Some may not close their eyes at all.  Some may follow a particular program, a voice or feeling of light; others may only breathe.  Some people call prayer meditation.  It is all a personal preference.  You will find what works for you.  The most important thing is that you make the effort to do something.  Just begin.

There are so many tools on the internet as well.  I have a smart phone application that reminds me to "be still."  My goal is to practice my meditation process in the mornings.  I like to first read a devotional and then I just sit in silence.  Sometimes my devotional is an article.  Sometimes it is a book, sometimes a poem on the internet and sometimes the New Living Translation bible.  Often times I light a candle which helps me focus on.... nothing (yes nothing).  (Those of you who join me with an un-diagnosed form of Adult Attention Deficit understand).  This often helps clear my mind from the clutter of the day ahead.

 In my experience, this is where God speaks to me the most.  I may get a kindness movement, scripture reference, a confirmation of thought, a word, a direction for my life, an answered question.  I am confident that this small voice within my spirit is the voice of God.  This voice leads me.  Guides me.  Gives me purpose.  Gives me strength to face the day when life seems a little more difficult.

Some times this is not easy.  Sometimes that voice tells me things that are difficult to digest.  Sometimes that voice pushes me out of my comfort zone.  I know that being pushed out of our comfort zone is healthy and ultimately necessary.

The process of meditation (or prayer if that is what you call it), can give us great peace, unconditional love and answers.  Meditation and prayer doesn't change your circumstances always; it changes how you look at those circumstances.

Finding solutions in silence is a gift.  For me a gift through prayer and meditation.  Sometimes I focus on a person that is strong in my spirit.  Sometimes I just see what comes into my conscience.  We grow in silence.  We continue a journey through silence and we find solutions there also.  So as I previously challenged, take time to meditate and/or pray.  Maybe you will find all the answers you are seeking.

"Be still and know that I am God"


No comments:

Post a Comment